Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual, 4th Edition by Nigel Calder
Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual
The best selling boat maintenance resource of all time.
The seagoing equivalent of a homeowner's fit-it-yourself manual, it covers everything in a power-or-sailboat that has bolts, screws, moving part, wires, or grease and can break.
Hundreds of detailed illustrations, troubleshooting charts and reader prompting tables create an extremely graphic and user-friendly treatment.
There have been significant changes in boat systems - particularly electrical systems - in the past years.
Includes all of the following and more!
- Battery technologies, including recent developments in lead-acid and lithium-ion batteries and fuel cells
- 12- and 24-volt DC systems
- Electric and hybrid propulsion
- How to radically improve the energy efficiency of most boats
- Corrosion, bonding, and lightning protection
- Generators, inverters, battery chargers , wind and water generators, and solar power
- Electric motors and electric lights
- Marine electronics, including networking systems, antennas, and RFI
- Diesel engines
- Transmissions, shaft brakes, and propellers
- Refrigeration and air-conditioning
- Tanks, plumbing, and through-hulls
- Pumps and watermakers
- Steering, autopilots, and wind vanes
- Stoves and heaters
- Winches, windlasses, and bow thrusters
- Spars, rigging, and roller reefing